This landmark building occupies a prominent position on the corner of Lydiard and Mair Street. More is known of its origins as a warehouse than the details of its construction. It was built for John Kelsal and Company wool merchants (the name “John Kelsal Wool Warehouse” still appears on the cornice, under the paint, along with the pediment though the raised lettering has been stripped back), wool merchants and one of several former warehouses between the station and the commercial area of Lydiard Street Nth. It is most notable for the contrast of streamlined rendered corner facade and regency details, with its prominent pediment and flagpole addressing the important corner, it slopes down Mair Street complete with basement level. It is in good condition and currently operates as a fitness centre and gymnasium.
The Monastery Apartments (former Monastery of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour). 300 Gilles Street North, Wendouree.
Though it faces away from the main street, the three storey main building of the former St Mary’s Redemptorist monastery complex, originally named ‘The Monastery of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour’1 is the most notable landmark in Wendouree. The foundation stones were laid in 189123 and it was completed in 1897 to the design of notable Melbourne firm Reed, Smart and Tappin, it was built in stages to 1899 when the wing was added with a total cost of around £17,000, much of which was generated from benefactors.4 In 2000, it was converted into one of Ballarat’s largest apartment complexes.
- The New Redemtorist Monsatery of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, Wendouree Ballarat. The Advocate. pg. 9. 31 October 1891 ↩
- The New Redemporist Monastery, Ballarat, Laying the Memorial Stone. The Advocate pg.7. 28 November 1891 ↩
- The Ceremonies at Ballarat. Laying the Coner Stone of the Redemtorists Monastery. Freeman’s Journal. 5 December, 1891 ↩
- A Redemptorist Monastery Ceremony at Wendouree. The Age. pg. 6. 24 April, 1899 ↩
This house is possibly Ballarat’s oldest cottage. Apparently built in 1858, just one year later than Ballarat’s oldest surviving buiding and a few years after the gold rush, it was accommodation for the Surrey Hotel, a timber hotel which originally occupied the corner of Drummond and Mair Street. The cottage measured just 5.5 metres wide and 6.5 metres deep.1 The hotel has long since been demolished and replaced, but this building has remained on the subdivided block. It has been significantly modified from its original form, most recently following its sale in 1992.
- ‘Ballarat’s “ultimate townhouse” to be auctioned‘. The Courier. 17 March, 1992 ↩